Course Title: Chief Mate & Masters Course
- Candidates must have completed 12 months watch-keeping service as a Deck Officer on vessels > 500 GRT while
holding an OOW unlimited II/1 Certificate of Competency (CoC).
Documentary evidence to prove sea service are the following:
- Stamps on CDC
- Masters sea service testimonials
- Company Sea-service Letter on the company letterhead (click on link for letter format)
Please click on the link to read Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) Eligibility Requirements.
It is advisable but not compulsory to obtain a MNZ Pre-assessment done before joining the course at MIT, Auckland.
If you are unsure about your sea service, it is advisable to get your pre-assessment done and this will take 6 weeks.
Download the Pre-Assessment Form and send documents by email and pay by credit card to save on postage cost and time.
Maritime New Zealand contact details are as given below:
Telephone: +64 4 473 0111
Course starting date and duration:
There are multiple intakes in a year (1 every 2 months) from February till September as the mode of delivery is Modular.
Expected duration of stay in Auckland will be for 12 months.
For booking a course, you will need to post the following documents to us at our address given at the end of this page.
- Completed International Student Application Form
- Scanned copy of the first and last page of your Passport
- Scanned copy of CDC first page and sea service stamp pages after 2nd Mates CoC
- Scanned copy of all relevant pages of 2nd Mates CoC
- Scanned copy of Highest academic qualification certificate (for e.g. Class XII, Class X, etc.)
Kindly email the above documents to email@example.com
There is no payment to be done for booking a seat in th college.
It will take about 4 weeks to receive your admission letter from the college. Admission letter will come by email.
Sample Admission Letter copy attached.
IELTS Academic / Pearson PTE English Language Test:
An English language test is a requirement before you can apply for the New Zealand student visa. English test is not
required for booking a seat in the college but you will not be able to apply for a New Zealand visa if you have not cleared this
English language test.
You may sit for either of the following tests:
The score required in IELTS Academic English test is an overall score of 6 band with no sectional score below 5.5 in
Reading, Writing, Spoken or Listening section.
The score required for Pearson PTE Academic English test is an overall score of 50 with no sectional score below 42 in
Reading, Writing, Spoken or Listening section.
You can download IELTS and Pearson PTE app on your mobile phone and practice before you sit for the actual test.
Youtube videos are also available on IELTS and Pearson PTE to help you prepare for these tests.
Tuition Fees & Living Expenses:
The total course tuition fees is about 22,000 Nz$ inclusive of STCW and tanker courses.
Click on the link for Tuition Fees details and starting dates of the various modules.
The above does not include the Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) assessment and tanker endorsement fees.
Please view MNZ fees by visiting the link below:
Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) does not accept DG Shipping approved advanced STCW courses and tanker courses from
India. These courses have to be compulsorily done in New Zealand and are included in the tuition fees.
- Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF)
- Medical First Aid (MFA)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Craft (PSC&RB)
- Masters Medicare
Food & Accommodation expenses will be about 40,000 INR per month on a conservative budget.
Your expected total expenses in New Zealand, all inclusive is expected to be around 18 Lakhs.
You are allowed to work part-time in New Zealand which will help you to recover around 5 Lakhs INR.
Funds to show for New Zealand Visa:
Visa rules keep on changing pretty frequently and hence every student should be aware of what the present rules are.
The funds shown for New Zealand visa will include the following:
- Tuition Fees of 22,000 Nz$
- Living Expenses of 15,000 Nz$
- Flight ticket of 2,000 Nz$
The total funds to be shown for visa will be around 20 Lakhs INR whilst your actual expenses is expected to be 18 Lakhs.
Money can be shown in one of the following ways:
- Cash in bank account or Fixed Deposits
- Educational loan sanction letter
- Mix of cash and educational loan
Any sudden reflection of large funds in account needs to be explained with documentary evidence.
You can also be sponsored by your parents / siblings but they will need to show their source of income.
New Zealand Admission & Visa Procedure:
- The applicant sends us all documents required for admissions by email. 'Conditional Offer Letter' comes in 4 weeks by
- The applicant clears his English language test (IELTS Acdemic or Pearson PTE) and emails the result to us. We will
forward this result to the college. 'Unconditional Offer Letter' is emailed by the college. This letter is required to apply
for New Zealand visa.
- The applicant arranges funds to be shown for the visa process.
- We email the visa application form, sample answers and list of documents to be submitted for the visa process to the
- Applicant applies for the student visa at the nearest TT Services office. Documents for visa application can be
submitted in person or by courier also. Passport is submitted in original whilst all other documents are submitted as
- In about 3 weeks time, the applicant receives an email from 'Immigration New Zealand' that the visa has been
'Approved In Prinicipal'. The email will also state that the student needs to submit the full tuition fees to the college and
submit receipt of tuition fees paid. Also, the tuition fees has to be paid from the bank account in which funds have
been shown for the visa application.
- The student remits the full tuition fees to the college by electronic bank transfer (SWIFT). Cox & Kings will get in touch
with you to arrange for the electronic bank transfer to MIT, Auckland. It will take 2 working days for college to receive
the funds. The tuition fees receipt will come in another 1 - 2 days by email. This tuition fees receipt and the updated
bank account statement from which funds have been sent to the college will be emailed to the visa office.
- Visa will be stamped on the Passport and sent by courier to the student in about 3 working days.
- Our travel agent will get in touch with you to arrange for your flight tickets.
- Cox & Kings will get in touch with you to arrange for New Zealand $ to carry to New Zealand for your living expenses.
Accommodation, Food and Flight Tickets:
Accommodation: College does not offer hostel accommodation for overseas students. Students stay in rented
apartments as it works out to be much cheaper. A typical house would have 4 - 5 rooms which would be rented out to the
students. Each room would be fully furnished i.e. the room would have a bad, mattress, wardrobe, study table, carpet, lights
and heating system. The student would pay the room rent to the landlord every month. The kitchen and the washroom
would be shared amenities. The kitchen would typically have a dining table, microwave, refrigerator and cooking system in
place. A single room would house one student, a couple or 2 students at the maximum. On signing the contract with the
landlord, you will have to pay one month’s of rent as security deposit as well as the rent in advance for that month. Please
ensure that you keep a copy of your contract safely with you and insist that the rent will be paid by cheques only. Ask the
landlord for a copy of rent receipt as well for your safety. Most contract’s come with a one month notice period which means
that you will have to give one month’s notice before vacating or else you may lose your deposit money. At the time of
returning the deposit money, the landlord may make deductions for any damage that the tenant may have done to the
Alternatively, you can stay for 1 day in a budget hotel / bag packer on arrival in Auckland and check out houses the next
day. You can find list of budget hotels on various travel sites on the internet.
Food: All food items that are available in India are also available in Auckland, New Zealand for e.g. rice, wheat, dal,
vegetables, chicken, mutton, fish, fruits, etc. Eating outside at restaurants, take-away, etc. are very expensive because of
the high cost of labour in New Zealand and hence invariably all students cook their food together at home only. Grocery
shops are located at 5 - 10 minutes walking distance from the accommodation areas.
Flight tickets: You do not need to have your flight tickets whilst applying for a New Zealand visa. You however have to
show 2,000 Nz$ equivalent of funds in your account to pay for your flight tickets at the time of visa appliation. Students
usually book their flight tickets after having received their New Zealand student visa. It is upto a student if he wishes to book
a one way ticket to New Zealand or a return ticket i.e. to and fro. Normally, a return ticket works out cheaper. We will
introduce you to a Travel Agent who will help you out with flight ticket bookings or you can book through online portals like
Yatra.com, Cleartrip.com, etc. A one way fare price will range from 40,000 - 50,000 INR whilst a return fare will range from
70,000 - 100,000 INR. Prices vary depending upon season and how far is your travel date from the date of booking.
Banks in India are usually reluctant go sanction loans for CoC courses and the typical reasons for refusing loans are as
- Seafarers are often not considered by banks as students and hence banks are reluctant to sanction loans to them.
- Some bank managers do not understand what a CoC course is and hence their reluctance.
- As CoC courses do not fall under the category of Degree / Diploma courses, hence the reluctance from banks.
- CoC course duration is usually less than 1 year and banks are reluctant to give loans for courses less than 1 year.
- Some banks insist on students getting a letter from DG Shipping, India stating that overseas CoC courses are
approved. It is next to impossible for students to get such a letter from DG Shipping, India.
If you know somebody in a bank, it gets much easier to get your loan sanctioned. If not, it is always advisable to approach
atleast 5 different banks and hope that some of these banks may consider your loan application favourably. Do not chase
only 1 bank as it is possible that the bank may refuse your application and you may not have enough time left to apply for
educational loans to other banks.
If you wish to apply for an educational loan, please let us know and we will ask the bank personnel to get in touch with you.
How to reach MIT, Auckland:
There are flights from Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, etc. to Auckland.
From Auckland airport to the college will take you about 30 minutes by taxi / shared shuttle service.
The shared shuttle service will cost you around 40 Nz$ i.e. 2,000 Rs/-
Working Part time / Full time in Auckland:
As per the present rules, you would be allowed to work 20 hours / week during your study period and full time during
vacations (Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays). By working within the above working hour limits, a student can hope to
recover around 5 Lakhs INR during your stay in Auckland. There is no compulsion for a student to work and it is entirely upto
his own discretion, however the student should not work for more than 20 hours / week during his course study period. The
minimum pay rate in New Zealand is 15 Nz$ per hour and you will not be paid less than this amount. However, if you are
working in night shifts, week-ends or during holiday season, you may expect to get paid higher also.
The following are the different kinds of jobs that students take up in Auckland during their stay in the UK:
- Working in fast food joints like Mc Donalds, KFC, Burger King, Subway, etc., as cashier, helper, delivery boy, salad
cutter, cleaner, etc.
- Working in shopping malls and departmental stores.
- Working as security guards.
- Working in hotels at the reception
The following are the different ways of finding jobs during your stay in Auckland:
- Get in touch with senior students studying in the college. You will get to know where they are working and they could
refer you to their employers if any vacancies come up.
- Local newspapers in Auckland advertise jobs that can be taken up by students.
- Most of the fast food joints and departmental stores stick vacancy advertisements on their glass doors so that
prospective employees can just walk in to apply for such jobs.
- Register with job placement agencies in Auckland.
Tel: +91 - 98927 25375
Address: Office No. 529, Mastermind 4, Royal Palms, Aarey Colony, Goregaon E, Mumbai – 400 065
Note: To reach our office, take autorickshaw from Goregaon (E) station. It will cost you about 70 Rs/- and the distance is 3.0
kms from station. It should take you about 20 minutes to reach our office in normal traffic conditions from the station.
Alternatively, take Bus No. 452 from Goregaon (E) station and get down at the last bus stop i.e. Mayur Nagar. The office is
about 10 minutes walk from the Mayur Nagar bus stop. If you are coming from Powai direction, it will take you about 30
minutes to reach our office by auto rickshaw and the fare will be about 150 Rs approximately.
Please call before you plan to come to the office so that we can schedule a mutually convenient date and time.
Please fill up the Enquiry Form given below and we shall revert back to you at the earliest:
|Manukau Institute of Technology (MIT)
Auckland, New Zealand
Note: Students after Chief Mates CoC from New Zealand can stay back upto 1 year and take up employment in New Zealand
as per new immigration rules applicable from November 2018.